Radiological & Nuclear Incident Response Course
Introduction to Radiological and Nuclear Incident Response (IRNIR) Course
Two-day awareness level course for all First Responders and DOD personnel to include:
- Active, Guard and Reserve Forces
- State, Tribal, and Local Emergency Responders -- Law Enforcement
- Fire and EMS
- Emergency Managers
- Command and Control (C2) Response Personnel
The Department of Homeland Security
The IRNIR Course is approved by the Department of Homeland Security, FEMA, National Training Education Division for inclusion in their State/Federal Sponsored Course Catalog. This approval means that state, territory, and urban area students may use HLS Grant Program funds to attend the course. See State/Federal Catalog link at bottom of page. Go to DHS Course # DOD-001-COMM
IRNIR Purpose and Goals
IRNIR provides a foundation for advanced DNWS courses. The two- day, tuition-free awareness course provides instruction on basic radiation science, introduction to nuclear weapons and radiological dispersal devices, radiological terrorism, medical and psychological effects of ionizing radiation, and crisis communication. Information on radiation hazards, detection equipment, personal protective equipment, decontamination, and federal incident response.
The goal is to increase student confidence and comfort level in responding to and mitigating the consequences of radiological accidents and terrorist WMD incidents.
Mobile Training Team Availability
Mobile training teams are available by unit request. Request via email at [email protected] or contact us by phone at 505-846-0663.
Classroom instruction and field application provided on:
- Basic Radiation Science
- Live Source Hands-On Exercise
- Radiological Terrorism
- Federal Incident Response
- Crisis Communication
- Introduction to Nuclear Weapons and RDDs
- Medical & Psychological Effects of Ionizing Radiation
- Radiation Hazards, Detection Equipment, PPE and Decon
Incident Command and Control Certificate Program!
- Introduction to Radiological and Nuclear Incident Response (IRNIR)
- Nuclear Weapons Incident Response Training (NWIRT)
- Weapons of Mass Destruction Command, Control and Coordination (WMDC3-DL)
IRNIR In-Residence FY16
3-4 Dec 15, 3-4 Mar 16, 2-3 Jun 16, 8-9 Sep 16
School 1900 Wyoming Blvd SE
(Building 20602) Kirtland AFB Albuquerque, NM 87117